Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Cage



picture credit: http://www.deviantart.com/art/The-End-66705719


The cage is shrinking, squeezing the air from my lungs,
my limbs are cramped as the bonds grow tighter,
my body lifeless, and these eyes would rather stay shut
in a dreamless void to escape the numbing, suffocating demands
created by the choices I’ve made and the life in which I live,
that keep pressing down and down and down…

A part of you dies every time you stifle your dream,
when you push it in the corner to make place for
demands of little consequence.
Your world becomes smaller, your thinking is forced
into line as you would scolded a child,
throttling every spark of passion and pleasure
before it can touch you, to prevent you from stretching and breaking
the bonds so carefully placed on you.

These shackles are now too tight, the cage’s become too small,
rebellion has sneaked into my dreamless void
and shocked me awake with visions of a point beyond this non-existent life,
leaving me with the key and the choice
to huddle in this corner, a well-controlled obedient puppet,
or to open the door to a daunting and scary world
where the chance of freedom, pleasure and peace exists,
where I have the chance to be true to me,
when will I unlock the door?




13 comments:

  1. wow, i realy got into this reading the poem.
    very powerful and involving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh. dont like that feeling of being trapped though yeah we create those cages by letting go our dreams...accepting a smaller world as our reality....and we take that choice...and assume the risk if we are to break out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all depends upon who is holding you down--does it not? For if it is indeed our Heavenly Father, we can be sure of our confinement being for His glory and our ultimate good. However, this is not to say that it should be enjoyable. Well, at least it most certainly has not been so for me. Please forgive me if my frequent references to more Spiritual matter irritate you, but your verses clearly reflect what life in this world is really all about--albeit from a more natural perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Jerry, your Spiritual perspective does not irritate me. It would be stupid of me not to read and consider other opinions. That's how I live, I take what is sound and worthwhile and it's always worked for me. I appreciate your thoughts.

      Delete
  4. It's been a while since I have read your work. Fells good to read a fellow blogger and poet still writing from the Heart. Nicely created atmosphere, Yes a feeling of suffocation has been portrayed as the rope tightens while in your case the cage shrinks down further but a choice has been given in the end. Very well Written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too often we find ourselves shackled but fail to realize that we hold the key...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent, and I understand what you are saying about life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unlock that cage....and take your little red wagon and zoom the countryside to feel the freedoms so desperately needed!! You really have me today. I'm a caged bird. Cramped and wanting to be released and fly, be free!! Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all feel trapped and want to unlock the door with a key to freedom.
    Trouble is when we get it - it is not always any or much better when we get there . . . this life is so imperfect ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like to be caged and have felt that way several times in my life. I am a free spirit and have come to accept that I need space. Thankfully, the boat provides a lot of that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello shadow its dennis the vizsla dog hay see this is eksaktly why i do not like to be put in the krate wen mama and dada ar gawn!!! ok bye

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello shadow its dennis the vizsla dog hay see this is eksaktly why i do not like to be put in the krayt wen mama and dada ar gawn!!! ok bye

    ReplyDelete